wonderfully made: a wonderful, whimsical, woodland nursery | baby boy's nursery reveal

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

a wonderful, whimsical, woodland nursery | baby boy's nursery reveal

I have just about a month and a half left before meeting this sweet boy, but the anticipation I've felt for finishing and revealing his nursery is a close second to actually meeting him! Aside from a few changes that I'm sure will take place to increase functionality, the nursery is finally finished and I'm so happy to share it with you! (You'll just have to wait the full 9 months to hear his name!)

From the beginning, I didn't really want to do a themed nursery. I didn't want a theme to take over and I didn't want to be confined by that theme. Instead, I pinned a lot of images and chose the details I liked best and then built off of that. It ended up morphing into somewhat of a 'theme', but again, I'm not bound by it. I've started calling it the 'whimsical woodland nursery' theme. Take a look!

whimsical woodland nursery details

whimsical woodland nursery details

The first few items that I knew I wanted to use in the nursery, boy or girl, was a red/orange  wing back chair from Ikea that we already had and the vintage sputnik light that was taken out of my grandparent's home when they moved earlier this year. The chair color (along with the woodland animal print that I pinned early on) drove most of the color scheme and the light drove my decision on the ceiling and details in the room. I'm happy I was set on those from the beginning because I love how it has turned out!

nursery details
the nursery from the door | rug from World Market and 50% off right now making it just $15!!!

As with most things, I feel like the details make all the difference in a room. There are still years of personalization left to happen in this space, but it's the small artistic details that are my favorite. Various textures, colors, and unexpected finishes can be found throughout the room. 

nursery details eclectic woodland
top, left to right: the moose and DIY felt garland Mark and I made | my mom's handiwork on the crib bedding | marquee lighting and DIY pennant banner 
bottom, left to right: unexpected texture (lace) on the crib skirt by my mom | personal touches and 'textures from home' | two textured rugs and the pouf

I read that babies react to things that act in a way they don't expect so I hope baby and I have fun exploring his room together for a few years. I can't wait to see his reaction when he touches things like the textured rug or the pom pom trim on his crib!

Follow along as we walk in the door and around the room, starting to the left of the door:


nursery details
my mom also made the wood-grain printed changing pad cover. love her!

I found this buffet on Facebook before we knew baby's gender and snatched it up. Mark changed out the pulls and it houses all sorts of baby items now. It also acts as the changing table and anchors this side of the room.

eclectic nursery details

I found the striped bin in the office section at Target. I wasn't sure if I wanted to introduce black and white in the room when I was working with a lot of navy blue but I figured black and white was a neutral (right?) and baby would understand. 

owen fox mustard nursery details

I got the idea for the banner from Pinterest and it was such an easy project. Look out for these or something similar on Etsy soon! Mark also made the shelves and I LOVE them! They house some of the essentials, a jar filled with pacifiers, and of course Owen Fox! :) 

whimsical woodland nursery details

I found the wire bins at Target too and I love that they (with the marquee heart and Owen Fox) bring that red-orange tone to this side of the room. It's all about balance!

diaper organization

I picked up the hanging basket at Target as well, specifically as a diaper station. Pretty soon it will be full of diapers but I figured it could hold some cute stuff for the time being! I wasn't sure I needed the hooks on the bottom but I'm glad it has them because I'm already using them for all sorts of things!

ikea strandmon rocking chair hack and texan details

We followed this tutorial to turn our Strandmon chair into a rocker and I'm so glad we went for it. The prices of rockers and gliders were making me have hives and I love how comfortable this chair is now with a slight recline. Mark and I both foresee LOTS of naps in this chair!

texan nursery details ikea strandmon rocking chair

Behind the chair is a bookshelf that the previous owners left behind. I was SO close to trashing it when we moved in because it was intended for a nursery and we didn't really have a need for it, but I'm so glad I hung onto it. We hung it higher on the wall (it's made to sit on the ground) and I can't wait to fill it with ALL sorts of books for this boy.


eclectic woodland nursery baby boy navy blue yellow mustard and white

On the other side of the window is the crib and focal point of the room. It looks kind of empty but don't worry, we have a lovely stand-up fan that will sit in that corner. It's ESSENTIAL! Of course, I still love our moose and he is even more handsome with the addition of the crib bedding.


eclectic woodland nursery baby boy navy blue yellow mustard and white

I am IN love the "Dream Big" pillow I found at T.J. Maxx. It adds the touch of whimsy I love! My mom worked hard on the crib skirt and bumper and I got the striped sheet as a gift. We made the bumper to be reversible so the mustard can be on the inside or flipped with just plan white. I like the option of changing out my sheets and flipping the bumper around to give it whatever look I want! Also, I think the pom-pom trim really sets it over the cuteness edge. Thanks again mom for working so hard on this. :)


eclectic woodland nursery baby boy navy blue yellow mustard and white

So much hard work and sweat went into this room and I'm so happy it's ready for our baby boy. It fits Mark and me so perfectly and I only hope that our baby will love it as much as we do! Thank you for being patient with me as I finished it all up, now we just have to wait for the baby to fill it!

I've also posted the reveal here on Project Nursery. Thanks again!

Happy Tuesday!
dmariebuchanan@gmail.com Image Map

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We would LOVE to hear your thoughts and ideas! Share 'em here!