wonderfully made: five on Friday | two years and my thoughts

Friday, July 24, 2015

five on Friday | two years and my thoughts

Today's the day! It's our two year anniversary of owning our home. I honestly can't believe it's ONLY been two years. It seems like so much longer! dmariebuchanan@gmail.com Image Map



At first I was just going to link to last year's post with the before and after photos of the house because I didn't think much had changed. But then I remembered that SO much has changed! Maybe not in every room, but we've made lots of upgrades over the last year. My goal this weekend is to get the house in tip top shape and take some photographs in the good daylight to share the before and after photos with you next week. So make sure you come back for that!

I started this blog a little before we closed on the house and it was originally a home-based blog. Since then, I've branched out into blogging about travel, lifestyle, shopping, budgeting, and just about my life in general! Today, I thought I'd get back to my home blogging roots and share five things about house hunting, home renovation, home decor, DIY....at least, my thoughts on the subjects!



one.
I like homes that have character. The nice, new clean homes are alright, but they don't really appeal to me. I love anything built before 1970. Our house was built in 1960 and while it isn't bursting with character, it has some little quirks (like our built-in linen closets and scalloped exterior trim) that I really like. 







two.
I LOVE flowers, candles, and little things that bring life into our home. Don't get me wrong, I don't love trinkets or dust collectors - nope. But some fresh flowers or a flickering candle makes SUCH a big difference around the house and it's hard to stop myself from buying them frequently! If only I could keep a houseplant alive, then all of my money wouldn't go to waste on cut flowers!






three.
I'm not a neat freak and I'm the furthest thing from a perfectionist, but things around the house bug me. For example: I hate when the seam on a lampshade gets turned around where I can see it. I also hate when our entry rug gets moved to the side (Mark always does this to open the closet door and never puts it back). I hate when the curtains are out of whack and look goofy. There can be clothes on the floor, dog hair everywhere, and dishes in the sink, but those things bug the crap out of me!



four.
I don't believe our home will ever be done. I really don't think I'll ever reach that point in my life. I'm constantly changing things, constantly browsing the sale aisle at Home Goods, and constantly lusting after a new throw pillow. I like change!





five.
I love a good looking yard. I think it's your first impression of a home and I think it adds a great deal to your resale value and what someone is willing to pay for a property. That being said, I HATE doing yard work. It is so tiring and so expensive. I want so badly for our yard to look better and I know that it can, but I can't physically put in the work, the budget is tight, and I kill 60% of the plants that I put out there. I'm really contemplating hiring someone to do some work on it next summer and maybe just chip away at it each year...



That's it. I promise I'll be back with some updated pictures for y'all next week! Happy Friday!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We would LOVE to hear your thoughts and ideas! Share 'em here!