wonderfully made: baby gear showdown

Thursday, June 4, 2015

baby gear showdown

Hey mamas! …and grandmas, and aunts, and dads, and uncles, etc! I’m closing out the last week of my second trimester and moving into the third trimester – the final countdown!!!

I’m not sure about the rest of y’all out there, but registering for gifts gives me hives. I will say that registering for baby is a lot more fun than registering for silverware and wedding gifts, but it’s just not my cup of tea. There are SO many decisions and in the moment, it feels like the safety of your baby hinges on each and every decision (and it does, sometimes!)

Watch out ladies because there is something in the water – EVERYONE is getting pregnant. I know more than 10 bloggers that are pregnant right now along with multiple real-life friends and acquaintances. I see a new pregnancy announcement pop up on social media every week! We’re in luck though! Thanks to all of these prego mamas and experienced mothers in blogland and beyond, there is some GREAT information going around. You can’t beat real-life reviews so I’ve gathered some of the most asked about and debated baby items here to get your take on them. I’m hopeful that lots of experienced moms will chime in with their thoughts (and I've written some of my thoughts as well) so we can have great information right at our fingertips and we will be able to make some of those life or death decisions!



Let’s get started!


..........................................................................



mamaroo | versus | fisher price

4Moms Mamaroo
Pros: you can find a TON as resale/on craigslist, it’s MAGICAL if your baby likes it, small-ish profile, multiple functions (many movements, ability to hook up your ipod, integrated toys, etc), trendy, non-offensive (read: over the top ‘baby’) design, washable fabrics, uses electrical outlet rather than battery
Cons: price, length of use (many sites say not to use these after baby can sit up by themselves)

Fisher Price Rock n’ Glide soother
Pros: price is better than mamaroo, washable fabrics, integrated toys
Cons: ugly! Large footprint, battery required, fewer speeds than mamaroo

..........................................................................

I already did a post on my thoughts about baby wearing and baby carriers, but I’d LOVE to get more input! From what I’ve heard, the Ergo360 is the best option for those ‘high tech’ versions of baby carriers because your baby can face forward or backwards in this. 



ergo 360 | versus | solly wrap

..........................................................................


4moms tub | versus | puj tub

4moms tub
-this tub just looks high tech to me! I can’t figure out how it works just from looking at the picture, so I’m more apt to go with the Puj tub that fits snugly in my sink. My boss, however, has a baby tub that sits in her tub that she really likes. It’s all personal preference!

Puj tub

-I’ve had so many back issues and I can’t imagine bending over my tub to give a bath (as long as I can help it!) so this sink tub speaks to me. I like the idea of having more room to wash baby (have you SEEN my tiny bathrooms?!) and think this is my pick. Give me your input!

..........................................................................


bumbo | versus | fisher price

Bumbo seat
-There have been some recalls on this recently, I believe, because babies were getting stuck and tipping themselves over in the Bumbo. I’ve been a little fed up because neither of the stores we have registered at carry the colors that I want and it seems like they are phasing out this version to a new version of the Bumbo. Regardless, I think it’s a genius invention and I know lots of people that have used the Bumbo and loved it! I just want the mint color!

Fisher Price space saver high chair

-To be honest, I’ve registered for both the Bumbo and this space saver seat. I went back and forth between a regular high chair and one of these that you just set in your dining chair and this one seems the most appealing to my design-centered eye. Plus, the thought of feeding baby at my seated height rather than raised up just makes more sense. Think of all the floor space I’m saving by not having a traditional high chair! What do you think, experienced mamas? Am I thinking this through?

..........................................................................

While we are on the subject of high chairs…what about these options?



chicco | versus | graco 


Chicco Clip on high chair
-My boss uses this style of chair predominantly and I like the idea! I feel like it will work depending on what kind of kitchen you have. You have to have a counter/space that will allow the clip on unit to be supported. I can see how this could make life easier by being able to feed your babe right at the island. Easy clean-up, too! I would just be paranoid about the support, which I’m sure is perfectly fine!

Graco Traditional high chair

-you’ve heard my take on this high chair but I’m really interested to hear everyone else’s take. This is a more traditional style but there are some pretty cool looking space-age high chairs out there! 

..........................................................................




bassinet | versus | rock n' play

Bassinet
-These are SO pretty and I would totally feel like Scarlett O’Hara if I had one of these. I’m pretty sure they are required if you live in Georgia or South Carolina. As pretty as they are, I can’t imagine they make up for the price tag in efficiency, size, and length of use. That being said, the bassinet is out of the picture for me!

Fisher Price rock n’ play sleeper
-here’s another item I’ve heard grumblings about recently. There was an article on facebook about how a baby died while sleeping in something similar to this. However, if you really look into baby products, pretty much NONE recommend letting your baby sleep in them ‘unattended’. Also, I think the stats were that 4 babies had died (out of how many millions?) in this type of sleeper. And yes, it’s marketed as a ‘sleeper’. Confusing, right?

 Anyway, with that out of the way, I’ll let you know that we do have one of these and we plan on letting baby sleep in it while he is a newborn. My sister used one, her friend used it, and it’s a great alternative to a bulky bassinet or an expensive co-sleeper. The angle plus the rocking option makes it easy for baby to sleep and the small footprint means our already small room won’t get too cramped with this addition. Anyone have any insight? Do you think I’m putting my baby in harm?



So there's the list! Please chime in with your thoughts! I'm back tomorrow for a pre-vacay five on Friday!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We would LOVE to hear your thoughts and ideas! Share 'em here!