wonderfully made: The transformation begins...

Monday, August 5, 2013

The transformation begins...

This was our weekend. 

Mark, Heather, Kelly, Jevon, Taylor, Michael, Amy, and I spent a good part of our weekend painting. Thankfully there are no photos of me from the weekend, because I'm pretty sure that would break the internet.

I just want to say first off that we are SO grateful that our friends were able to pitch in. With their help we were able to paint 95% of our house in just one weekend. If Mark and I had painted alone, it would probably stretch into at least 3 weekends. So, THANK YOU friends!!!!!

As I mentioned, we painted about 95% of the house. That means we painted the living room, kitchen, hallway, guest bath, office, guest room, and master bedroom. We also painted all of the trim, 50% of the front door, and finished all of the hardware. Mark put up new house numbers, worked on the soaker hoses, and replaced 50% of the trim that needed fixing. Mark and I were at the house for about 24 hours between Saturday and Sunday and we think it shows!

Here are some photos of our progress:

-Living room-
before

after

before

after


-Kitchen-
before

after


-Guest Bath-
before

after


before

after


-Hallway-
before
(sorry for the dark photos)

after 


-Guest room-
before

after
(this is a light mint color that changes from very minty to white with a slightly mint tone. I hope that when I get my furniture in it will be the perfect color! We painted this room twice and I'm glad I didn't take pictures of the first color! It was mint on neon steroids!)


-Office-
before

after


-Master bedroom- 
before

after
(this is a dark grey that reads blue sometimes, but should stay grey once we get our furnishings in)

I cannot tell you how great it felt to cover up the beige in the living room, office, master bedroom, and hallway. At first it's not offensive and it is just your typical builder beige, but after seeing it day after day you realize how yellow it turned the whole house. Mark and I both really love the grey we chose for the main areas. It is called "Dolphin Fin" by Behr and we used a flat finish.

We chose a flat finish for the living room, hallway, kitchen, office, and guest room. We started by using eggshell in the guest bathroom because the slight sheen of the eggshell finish makes it more durable and you want something durable in the bathroom. Something like semi-gloss or satin in there might perform better, but I don't prefer the reflective look and since our wall has a lot of texture, I want to bring as little attention to that as possible. 

After we saw how our walls looked with the eggshell finish, we decided to use flat for the rooms mentioned above. We went with eggshell for the Master bedroom, but I really like the flat finish so if we ever did it again (before any future potential kids) I would do the flat finish. 

Here are the colors for each room, if interested:
Living, hallway, kitchen: Dolphin Fin by Behr
Guest Room: Magic Mint by Behr (unable to find online)
Master Bedroom: Iron Mountain by Behr (unable to find online)
Trim: Perfect White by Martha Stewart Living in semi-gloss
I'll be sure to do a recap in the next few weeks of the price and gallon breakdown for each room.


We also put all of the hardware back on the doors over the weekend. What do you think?


For those of you who follow on Instagram, here is the photo I posted of unmixed paint on Friday night:

...and here is the color that the paint turned out to be:
Yep, just navy! I can't recall what this color was called, but I'll look at our paint chips and update you when I find out. Crazy how much red was added to make this color, right?

Does the house look completely different? Do you like the changes, or would you keep some rooms the same? What is your favorite room?

Happy Monday!












5 comments :

  1. My faves are the dolphin fin grays and the navy bathroom. Definitely! I thought the green in the kitchen looked fine, but I'm sure it didn't go with your decor. Sorry we couldn't come over; thank goodness Chris finally started the tiling project I've been wanting him to do for 6 months! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is the grey too! The green in the kitchen was just not me. I'm not going for 'fine', I want to love it! You guys will have to make up for missing the first week in our house. I'm sure something involving a wet saw will make up for it...

      Delete
  2. I see you painted my room my favorite color, how thoughtful of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, you might have to fight Heather for that room. Plus if she gets in there, she will be repainting ASAP!

      Delete

Hey friends! We would LOVE to hear your thoughts and ideas! Share 'em here!