wonderfully made: DIY diaries | three tier herb garden

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

DIY diaries | three tier herb garden


Spurts of energy, good moods (both Beau and me), time, and creativity sometimes collide and the results vary. This time, though, everything turned out for the best!

Beau and I spent some time outdoors during these first few days of Spring and worked on this fun little tiered herb garden. It was fun, easy, and I'm excited to reap the benefits of it over the next several months. 



As I got started, I decided to take out my phone and document my process so I could share it with you guys. If you're interested in making one for yourself, here's a list of what I used (I picked everything up at Home Depot):

potting mix
12" clay pot
10" clay pot
6" clay pot
(3) small rosemary plants
(3) small basil plants
(1) small lavender plant
jar of pebbles (lots leftover to use for other projects)
two small buckets (I used two different sizes of this type and just held them up next to my pots to decide what size to get)
plant labels (found mine on amazon here)
sharpie
gardening spade
gloves
scissors


Start with your largest pot. I used the plastic bucket turned right side up as a solid base for my middle pot. I poked a hole in the bottom of the bucket to allow water to flow through (since it will be coming out of the bottom of the middle pot). I added some pebbles in the bucket to weigh it down a bit.


Add your potting mix and then your plants at the desired height. It's okay if some potting mix gets into the plastic bucket. 


Next, add your middle sized pot. This time, I used a smaller plastic bucket and turned it over. I poked more holes in the bottom and added pebbles around it so water could go around and under as well as through.


Then I added my potting mix, plants, and the smallest pot. Add water, and done!




We had two huge Rosemary bushes at our last apartment and I used it in lots of my dishes, I love it so much! I'm so excited to have it fresh on hand again.





So far the dog and the squirrels haven't been interested in my herb garden (just in photobombing my shot). Let's hope it stays that way!


Happy gardening!
dmariebuchanan@gmail.com Image Map

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We would LOVE to hear your thoughts and ideas! Share 'em here!